Thursday, August 9, 2012

Know your BB cream.

BB Cream, this is what is booming up in the makeup world. The trend has swept from Asia to Western countries now.

Western brands have been coming up with their own BB cream too. Take Garnier, Maybelline and L'oreal as an example and also high-end brands like Bobbi Brown, Smashbox, Clinique etc.


My BB Cream Story

Myself I have been a BB cream user for 4 years.
I first encountered BB cream when I was looking for a skincare then somehow I bumped into BB cream.
My first BB cream was the Skin79 Hot Pink BB Cream. I am still faithful to this BB cream till this day.
It is one of favourite BB Cream I have used to date.

After the Korean wave swept to our shores. More Korean beauty stores start to mushroom in my country.
Since BB cream became so much accessible, I went to pick out more BB creams to try.

After using BB for a year or so, I switched back to foundation.It is not because I dislike BB cream, I really like them but I haven't found a BB cream I like from korean beauty stores available in my country. Instead the ones I like are not available in shops and needed to be purchase online
That time I do not have a bank account yet so transferring money was a hassle.
And maybe I had a foundation kick too at that moment, I just wanna try out more foundations to find a HG foundation.


After awhile I found back my love for BB cream and switched back to BB cream.
Around that time, I already had my own bank account so it is easier for online purchasing of BB creams.

After many trials and error, I found my current HG BB cream. I encountered this BB cream because Kumicky of Popteen magazine said it is her favourite BB cream. I love Kumicky and I really want to try out things she recommend, I trust her opinion.
So, I went to search on this BB cream high and low on the net since there no Missha store in Malaysia.

It is the Missha Misa Cho Bo Yang BB Cream. It is a herbal BB cream.

In the middle of the BB cream hauling series, I found other favourite BB creams too.
Such as the Skin 79 Hot Pink BB cream and Dr. G Gowoonsesang BB cream.

So now I am back to using BB cream. At the same time, I do rotate between using BB cream and foundation, depends on my mood or the situation.

Why BB Cream?

I feel that BB Cream adhere on the skin better than foundation creating the super natural "no foundation" look while providing coverage, correcting skintone.
It is the finish look many girls want. No one wants to look cakey.
Compare to most foundation, BB cream are definitely lighter in weight and they are not as cakey.

BB creams promise that they would refine wrinkles, whiten, heals blemishes, refine pores etc.
I dont take those seriously because seriously it is not magic potion. I leave those to my skincare to do it.
Maybe over time it does help a weeeee bit but don't expect too much out of it.

Western BB Cream vs Asian BB Cream

I only own one Western BB Cream which is the Maybelline Dream Smooth BB Cream. Eventhough this is an Asia limited product, I still consider it as a western BB cream.
I will do my review on the BB creams based on this BB cream.

Texture:
Asian BB Cream differ in texture base on brands but one thing they have in common is they are very smooth and spreads really well. It is hard to get streaky BB cream application with fingers.

Western BB Cream has liquidy texture. Somehow the spreadability isn't as smooth as Asian BB creams. It just get streaky when you don't blend it properly.
The texture leans close to a tinted moisturizer. Western BB cream gives the feel of a glorified tinted moisturizer with better hydrating properties.

They are both equally lightweight.

Shades:
Western BB cream comes with more shades to cater every skintone.

Don't believe that BB cream will eventually blend to your skintone eventhough it promises.
A NC20 shade will turn into a NC50 shade? It is not magic liquid but if you are not too far off a particular shade, it will somehow oxidize into your skintone.

Asian BB cream caters only for East Asian skintones, so they only come in either one or two shades.
The shade will fall into the NC15-NC25 range.
The only Asian BB cream that caters to a wider range of skintone is the Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream. It comes with 4 shades.
Please note that some Korean BB creams tend to have a grey cast.

Sun protection :
Both BB creams offer sun protection. Since Asians are so obsessed about having pale/fair skin, some BB cream can come in a SPF up to 50.
If you want more sun protection, you can look into Asian BB creams.

Ingredients :
Asian BB Creams tend to have those "good for your skin" plant extracts infused into the BB cream as opposed to Western.
Other than that, the ingredients should not differ too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment